Sailfish Swimming Adventure, Snorkel and Encounter the fastest fish in the ocean!
Snorkeling with Sailfish
Sailfish are the fastest fish in the ocean with recorded speeds of up to 110 km/hour. They get their name from their spectacular dorsal fin that stretches almost the whole length of their body. Blue-grey in color with a white underbelly, they can grow up to 11ft in length and weigh up to 220 pounds. These powerful creatures are members of the billfish family and can be identified by their distinctive spears.
The sail is normally kept folded down when swimming and raised only when the sailfish attack their prey.Sailfish usually attack one at a time and the small teeth on their bills inflict injuries on their prey fish, by way of scale and tissue removal. On average about two prey fish are injured during a sailfish attack but only 24% of attacks result in capture. As a result, injured fish increase in number over time in a fish school under attack.
We offer an opportunity to learn about the fascinating feeding habits of these incredible hunters in the crystal clear waters of the Mexican Caribbean. You will be taught to keep an eye out for the birds that soar above the sailfish as they feed on groups of sardines. Then you can jump in, snorkel and enjoy the spectacle for yourself.
- Expedition: Snorkeling and Freediving with Sailfish feeding on Sardine ‘bait balls’
- Location: North-East of Isla Mujeres and Cancun, Mexico
- Participants Required: 1- 10
- Age of Kids: 15+
- Experience Required: Snorkeling skills
- Availability: January to March, departures daily
- Restrictions: Pregnant women, children under the age of and weak swimmers
- Languages: English, Spanish, French and German
- Full set snorkeling gear
- Bilingual guide
- Coffee in the morning
- Bottled Water
Suggested Itinerary (6 Hours):
- 7:30 am – Briefing and transport to the boat
- 8:00 am – Boat departure and sailfish search
- 12:00 pm – Lunch on board
- 2:00 pm – Return to Isla Mujeres
Bring sunscreen, towel, windbreaker, hat, long-sleeved shirt
Attention this is a Shared Boat Trip!! If you require a Private Trip on any date, please contact us directly to reserve the boat!!
IMPORTANT: Sailfish sightings may be challenging so we can’t guarantee an observation – we are at the mercy of sea and weather conditions as well as the eating patterns of wild animals. Although we have an 80% success rate and all the resources to accomplish the activity, we highly recommend booking at least two days of activities for higher success rates.
- Duration: 6 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: SSE